Analysis of music genres


I have created a Prezi presentation to analyse some music genres I listen to. My Prezi includes Rock, Pop, R&B, Rap and Reggae music. In each genre I have included some of the most popular artists to show examples of music videos they have created. I have created a moodboard for each genre to show the amount of editing and work that put into creating these great music videos.

On the Rock section I have used a very well known band called Oasis who create popular rock/ rock indie music. I have created a page to show some of their album covers, I have selected my favourite album covers to show the creativeness that was put in to making the covers. The covers include a lot of black and white and some of them have colours that are softer and washed out. This gives the covers a older and a indie look, the colours used show their characters and the type of music they create. They are also very different and unique, for example one of the covers it includes a picture of a car in a pool, this is very different to some other music covers as they tend to just be of the artists themselves. Each of their covers are quite different this might be because of the development in technology improving the quality of their pictures used for their covers and the editing.
I have then created a moodboard which includes screenshots of some of the bands music videos, I have used images from my favourite music videos and taken the best parts of the music videos. The music videos I have selected are in black and white, I like this because it shows what music videos would have looked like a few years ago and not many music videos are made this way so if I was to incorporate this it would make my video different to others and stand out.

The next genre I focused on was pop, for this genre i have focused on Michael Jackson who was known as the 'king of pop'  and one of my favourite pop artists. I have created a page to show all of Michael's album covers. The images I have chosen are the most popular albums that he has created, the covers themselves are linked to one specific song that is included in the album, the song tends to be the most successful single that was released. Michael's covers have also developed over the years and have become more and more creative and they involve lots more editing making them better quality covers.
I have also created a moodboard which is made up of my favourite Michael Jackson music videos. Michael videos are very unique which contain lots of imagination to create. His music videos have lots incorporated in it such as his own dance moves which tends to make up most of his music video. Another reason why I chose to use Michael Jackson is because I would like to cooperate dancing in my music video, this is why I chose to use Michael Jackson as an example as he bases his music videos on dancing. I would like to include some dancing in my music video as I am inspired by Michael Jackson's music videos. All the images on my moodboard from Micheal's music videos each have something that i would want to try to include in my music video. some contain great dance routines, great editing skills and some of them have a great message to share with the viewer.

The next genre I analysed was R&B and for this I used a very popular artist called Beyonce. I have typically chosen to focus on Beyonce's music videos because her videos are all produced differently giving her audience something new and better every time. For example some of her videos contain high quality editing and filming but some of her videos are simpler and are made to look like they are filmed on a less high quality device and are homemade. This is great because some of her videos focus on all of the editing and filming work put in to making it but some focus on the more entertaining side such as dancing rather than the quality of the filming and editing.
Beyonce's album covers have changed overtime due to the impact in technology getting better. As you can see from the album covers page i have produced some of her older albums are simpler and do not have high quality editing in them but when you compare it to a more recent album you can see the change in how much work was put into it with more advanced technology. Her more recent albums have more colour, higher quality images and now most covers are based on the most popular single released before the album has been released.
In my music video i would like to incorporate some of the editing that was used in Beyonce's single 'Countdown' as this looks like a fun music video that would be fun to create and will show some editing skills.

Another genre I focused on was Rap and for this genre i used a other one of my favourite artists Rihanna. I decided to go with Rihanna as an example because her videos are very different to others and have a sense of individuality which shows her character and who she is as a person, it also shows her creative side and boldness which makes her stand out against other artists.
Rihanna's album covers are similar to Beyonce's as they have evolved overtime due to the access to better technology. As you can see from the selection of album covers I have chosen to focus on her older albums also have lack of high quality editing as they are quite simple and seem to also lack creativeness. For example her album 'A girl like this' doesn't have much editing as it is just a fairly simple image with a bit of text, but if you compare it to her more recent albums you can see that there is a lot more colour, editing and better image quality. her more recent albums are also more creative and bold which is similar to her as she has a outgoing personality. I would like to show this in my own music video to have some individuality.
You can also see her creativeness and individuality in the moodboard I have made showing some of my favourite parts of her music videos. Rihanna focuses on the editing part a lot in her music videos, you can see this in one of her music videos 'Rude Boy' this music video contains a lot of pop art moving in the background, to do this they had to use a green-screen which is a fairly basic method to use but it had great results in this music video.

My final genre is Reggae, I found it difficult to find an artist that created music videos that I wanted to try and include in my music video. I wanted to use the most famous reggae artist known as Bob Marley but he did not produce music videos for his music. Therefore I deiced to focus on a artist who makes different music genres as well as reggae, I decided to focus on Sean Paul.
Sean Paul's album covers are also quite basic but they still appeal to the viewers easily, as you can see from my album covers page you can again see how they have progressively become better due to the more advanced technology that we have that they didn't have much of years ago. also when you look at his covers he seems to use the same colours, this may be caused the colours represents something to him, but these colours make the covers stand out against any other album covers.
I have created a moodboard showing some images taken from some of his music videos, I have chosen these specific images because they look like fun music videos as well as showing the creative editing and filming side. His videos also include a lot of colours and dancing which are the two things that appeal to me the most.



Comments

  1. Wow! Great detail into explaining why you have created this Prezi. You have gone into a lot of detail and the hard work put into this, really does show. I am really impressed. Next time, how about creating your own video with a voice over inserted? Again, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment and I will consider doing a voice over for my next piece of work, despite this, I am not very comfortable with this concept but I will still think of it as a possibility.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts